Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Shelley: Days 8 & 9 - Starving or Fixated

Normally, I would post a photo and give a run down of my day.  Things have been crazy and my husband (who is sometimes like one of my kids, particularly when he's sick) has been really sick.  I had a great workout yesterday but today I kept getting light headed which is totally weird since I've been eating plenty.  I still finished my workout but I had to take it a bit slower in the weight room.  I normally do something between each set (squats, burpies, etc.) to keep my heart rate up but I cut those out today since I'd get all swoony when I did that.

My husband has been computer needy so I wasn't able to blog yesterday (I really don't enjoying doing it from my phone.).  I have been insanely craving chocolate.  I have no idea what the deal is but I'm trying very hard to keep it reasonable.

Here's the breakdowns for the last two days:
Budget
1,428
Food
1,565
Exercise
-961
Net
604
Under
824
Breakfast: 170
Lunch: 288
White Bread Farmhouse
1 Serving
110
Dinner: 744
Snacks: 362
Exercise: 961
Elliptical
Moderate
55 Min
637
Weight Lifting
Vigorous
40 Min
324

Today:
Budget
1,428
Food
1,652
Exercise
-802
Net
850
Under
578
Breakfast: 170
Lunch: 360
Dinner: 364
Snacks: 756
Starbursts
2 Pieces
40
Random Food 100cals/Serving
2 1/2 Servings
250
Popcorn
3 3/4 Cups
150
Exercise: 802
Elliptical
Moderate
35 Min
397
Weight Lifting
Vigorous
50 Min
405
BMR CALC:  (1,760+802)-1,652= 910 Cal Deficit for today.  Hard to believe considering just HOW BAD I WANTED TO EAT EVERY PIECE OF CHOCOLATE IN MY HOUSE!  The good news is, I took my own advice and have made the chocolate super annoying to get to so I have plenty of time to consider just how much I want it.  I suppose I could always put a thinspiration on it so I feel inspired to keep it reasonable. . . :).

TODAY'S TIP:  Starving or Fixated
Today's tip is really more of a musing.  I have OCD, so when I let things creep into my pattern it's really hard to get rid of them.  For example, on the way home from school when I was teaching in Sandy my kids would always say they were starving so I would stop by McDonalds and get them some milk to drink (it's the only healthy thing I could think of).  I would get a diet Dr. Pepper and I was proud of myself for going to MDs without ordering things I like but that are not good for overall health.  

Anyway, fast forward a few weeks and things had crept into my pattern.  I was no longer just ordering a diet drink but a small fry and cheeseburger with MacSause (so stupid, and not even satisfying).  The thing is, I felt a compulsion to stop by even when I didn't really want those things, (thanks OCD).  I've had to come to terms with the fact that sometimes, I'm not hungry, I'm just fixated.  When that happens, to break the pattern, I have to totally change my habits, even if they don't make sense.  I started turning left out of the parking lot instead of the faster way home, turning right.  When I avoided McDonalds, I avoided my fixation.  It's said it takes 3 weeks to make something a habit and I have found this to be completely true.  If I stick to eating healthy for three weeks, all of a sudden it's easier and more natural for me to make good choices.  I know this all sounds crazy but for people like myself who have a fixation on food, sometimes crazy is the answer!

Heidi, if I could make one suggestion it would be swap PB&J for Skinny Pop.  Then eat it as slow as you can.  It will keep you munching and it's salty goodness is a great way to satiate that need to graze.  We all have it!!!

Until tomorrow. . .

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that great tip! I'm thinking it's a mental habit I need to fix, that sounds like a great way to try overcoming it. Off to get Skinny Pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. It's all about tricking ourselves. I'm always trying to come up with new ways to trick myself.;).

    ReplyDelete